Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Reading

I'm currently reading Wendy Shalit's book Girls Gone Mild, and so far, I am LOVING it!! She has a way ofwriting that just kinda sucks you in and makes you feel like you are talking to an old friend about everything presented. It's wonderful! I checked out the book from the library after reading about it. I wish I could remember where I read about it, but I just fell in love with the idea behind it. I'm so glad the library had it. I also requested her earlier book, A Return to Modestym, that will hopefully be available soon!

So I will leave with this quote, that really spoke to me when I read it. Probably because a lot of the stuff I believe is summed up so nicely in it.

If women are supposed to be so liberated nowadays, then why do we require such deprogramming? Why can't we be permitted to want what we want? - Wendy Shalit, Girls Gone Mild

It's so true and just hits the nail on the head! Especially since I believe the exact thing, and actually wrote about how we went from one form of oppression to another, as Shalit shows in her book. I even wrote about this in another post:Feminism and Homemaking. We seem to be forgetting that liberation means freedom for us to CHOOSE to do what it is we want to do, and are still forcing everyone to fit into one mold.


I wish I could just read all day, but I have to work today, so as appealing as calling in and just sitting on the couch wiht Shalit's book sounds, it's not happening. At least not today. ;-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...