Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Study Time:Louisa May Alcott

Little Women has been my favorite book for justabout as long as I can remember. Yes sure, as a good Southern girl I love Gone With the Wind. I'm not going to lie. But my heart truly lies within the pages of that famous Louisa May Alcott story about four sisters...

Every time I have read this story, I have come away from it feeling closer to Jo, the second oldest, more tomboyish of the four. She is brash and kind, loud and loves to just enjoy herself and have fun. She often gets herself into scrapes and by no means was considered a lady when she was younger. She does grow up and become a very pleasant little woman, and in the past I had always looked to her as an example - having been rather boyish and loud myself.


This time around, I still have my love for Jo and have taken Marmee's advice to her to heart. Yet, I often find myself relating a bit more to Meg than I ever have before. For the first time in my life I can truly relate to the eldest March girl. This probably has a lot to do with having gotten married, and busying myself with becoming a homemaker. I'm not perfect and I often still have Jo's temper (something I pray about almost daily) and today I came across this piece of advice:

"Go out more, keep cheerful as well as busy, for you are the sunshine-maker of the family, and if you get dismal there is no fair weather." Little Women, Marmee to Meg


How true is this? I think back to all the times when I have been in a good mood and how wonderfully peaceful things have been at home. I've been cheerful and supportive toward Chris and everything he chooses. In return, I get a loving husband who does things around the house and wants to spend time with me. When I have been in a foul mood, I get a crabby husband that doesn't want to spend good quality time together. He isn't open to my suggestions. I get short tempered with him when I have to listen to how his day went. The little things we do for each other end up becoming the biggest hassles. All because of my mood!!


It has been my experience that taking the time out during my day for myself helps me to be a better wife and homemaker. Taking time out of my day, to maybe leave some dishes in the sink and spend some time with God, or to maybe just rest and relax for a little before he gets home from work so I am refreshed and ready to welcome him into a warm and happy home.

3 comments:

Jenifer Metzger said...

I love Little Women! Anything historic (Little House on the Prairie types) I love. :) Great blog!

Sweet Blessings~
Jenifer

Emmy Lynette said...

I have always preferred Amy followed very closely by Beth. I like Jo and all but I don't relate to her and Meg is nice too but again just not me. Love that book. Think I'll do a reread tonight.

BeckyAnn said...

well, again, this was something that struck me... it didnt have to strike anyone else. it was purely something i thought about while reading and i felt God tugging on my heart while reading this. I don't expect everyone to agree or to see things this way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...